Research ➜ Foreign POLICY
Ambassador Jalil Abbas Jilani
Ambassador Jalil Abbas Jilani has 38 years of bilateral and multilateral experience as a career diplomat, having served as Pakistan’s Ambassador to the United States, Belgium, Luxemburg and the E.U, and Australia. Ambassador Jilani also served as the Foreign Secretary of Pakistan, the top civil service official in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. A specialist in South Asian affairs, Ambassador Jilani has worked as Director General for South Asia and SAARC, Deputy/Acting High Commissioner to India and Director (India) in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. In 2018, the Government of Pakistan nominated Ambassador Jilani as member of the Experts and Eminent Persons Group (EEP) of the ASEAN Regional Forum and later in 2019, as member of the Prime Minister’s Advisory Council on Foreign Affairs. Most recently, Ambassador Jilani has served as a Senior Fellow at both the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) and the United States Institute of Peace (USIP).
Diplomatic and Professional Experience
- May 2019 – Oct 2019 : Jennings Randolph Senior Fellow, United States Institute of Peace (USIP), Washington, D.C., USA
- Jan 2019 – Present : Prime Minister’s Advisory Council on Foreign Affairs, Islamabad, Pakistan
- Oct 2018 – Mar 2019 : Senior Fellow, The International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS), London, United Kingdom
- Jan 2018 – Present : Experts & Eminent Persons Group, ASEAN Regional Forum
- Dec 2013 – Mar 2017 : Ambassador to the United States, Embassy of Pakistan, Washington, D.C., USA
- Feb 2012 – Dec 2013 : Foreign Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Islamabad, Pakistan
- Dec 2009 – Jan 2012 : Ambassador to Belgium, Luxemburg & the European Union, Embassy of Pakistan, Brussels, Belgium
- June 2007 – Nov 2009 : High Commissioner to Australia, High Commission of Pakistan, Canberra, Australia
- Mar 2005 – Mar 2006 : Foreign Office Spokesman (concurrently as D.G South Asia), Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Islamabad, Pakistan
- Feb 2003 – May 2007 : Director General, South Asia and SAARC, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Islamabad, Pakistan
- June 1999 – Feb 2003 : Deputy High Commissioner/High Commissioner to India, High Commission of Pakistan, New Delhi, India
- June 1995 – May 1999 : Minister, Political Affairs & Deputy Chief of Mission, Embassy of Pakistan, Washington, D.C, USA
- May 1992 – May 1995 : Director, India, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Islamabad, Pakistan
- Sept 1988 – May 1992 : Deputy Secretary, Prime Minister Secretariat, Islamabad, Pakistan
- Sept 1985 – Aug 1988 : First Secretary, High Commission of Pakistan, London, U.K
- Mar 1983 – Aug 1985 : Second Secretary, Embassy of Pakistan, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
- Sept 1982 – Mar 1983 : Charge d’Affaires, Embassy of Pakistan, Sana’a, Yemen
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
CASS produces research papers and reports on current and upcoming policy challenges. Browse through the latest publications on the right or click to view all our publications.
US’ Feeble DA-ASAT Moratorium: Need for Stronger Leadership
Follow and Subscribe
© 2022 CASSTT ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Developed By Team CASSTT
CASS (Centre for Aerospace & Security Studies), Old Airport Road, Islamabad, Pakistan.
+92 51 5405011
All views and opinions expressed or implied are those of the authors/speakers/internal and external scholars and should not be construed as carrying the official sanction of CASS.